The best way to stay safe on the road is to run or ride with a buddy. However, we all know that many times schedules conflict and you just need to get out there and get your miles in. In this article I’m going to share with you some tips as well as smart-phone applications that can help you stay safer on the road.
On the road tips:
- Flasher Lights – These small flashing lights can easily be mounted to your bike or clothing to alert drivers of your presence. I personally own two of them that I swap around all the time. This time of year is especially important because the sun goes down earlier and frequent grey skies can make it more difficult for people to see you! $6 at Amazon
- RoadID Band – A RoadID band bracelet or something comparable should be worn by every triathlete in every discipline. You can get these personalized with emergency contact information, any medical conditions or allergies and any other pertinent information. We’ve got a BUNCH of certificates for RoadID bands in our prize stash. Volunteer at an event or BTC function and you just might be selected as volunteer of the month to win a free one! RoadID Website
- Reflective Apparel and Anklets – I’m also a huge fan of reflective anklets because they are easy to slip on at any time. However, many manufacturers of performance apparel also build reflective materials right into the clothing. Safety is one thing I never skimp on in the sport. $4 at Amazon
Smartphone Apps – Keep Loved Ones Informed of Your Location:
- Glympse – As an avid Android phone user I use an app called Glympse to keep my family and friends up-to-date on my location. This app is SUPER easy to use. Download the app from iTunes (iPhone) or the Google Play Market(Android) and create an account. From there it is as simple as sending a text message. For me, I usually text it to my wife who also has the app on her phone. This allows her to see a virtual map of my movement and where I am at any time. We’ve all heard the stories of someone getting bumped off the road. An app like this can save your life or just make it easier for your family to find you and drop off a fresh water bottle on those long rides. It is also worth noting that both parties are not required to have the app installed. The text message from your phone to theirs will include a link so you can watch from your phone, tablet or PC.
- RoadID App called Breadcrumbs – RoadID in addition to their personalized bracelets have come out with an app for iPhone only app (at the time of this writing) that is very similar in functionality to Glympse. I have not had the chance to use this app but friends have and they love its ease of use. Again, you send a message to a friend or family member and they are able to track you on a map in real-time.
Stay safe out there and have fun!