This week the BTC Blog is Swim focused. We have some winter swim tips from Russ Scherwitz, information on BTC winter swims as well as some information on the USAT National Challenge Competition. Enjoy.
Swim Tips from Russ: Taking Your Swimming to the Next Level in the “Off-Season”
So winter is upon us and besides a polar bear swim, all of our efforts are contained to the pool. How do you make the most of this time and improve your swimming? Here are some easy concepts to consider:
- Attend a swim clinic that focuses on rebuilding the stroke from the most basic concepts toward a full stroke
- Try swimming more often versus more volume. Instead of 2 swims each week totaling 8000 yards, try 5 swims totaling 8000 yards. Increasing your exposure to the sport.
- Make one swim each week a chance to play and explore how your body moves in the water. Add this into your workout plan and learn through experimentation and creativity. Possible concepts to learn – buoyancy, breath control, drills, speed play, sculling, and body alignment.
- Hire a coach to work with you on your stroke – good coaches are worth this investment and can often make significant changes in a few hours
- Enter a Masters swim meet! We have many opportunities to isolate the running discipline to gage our improvement, do the same for swimming and biking!
- Add “drylands” to your swimming workout. Push-ups, squats, lunges, crunches, pull-ups, and other body weight exercises right on the pool deck between swims.
- Remember that the fastest vessels are all pushed, rather than pulled. Work on developing a powerful finish to your stroke and really develop the kick. Come race day when you “shut your legs off” and 50% of your kick effort is better than others at 100%, you’ll reap the rewards of having a good kick in training.
- Work on ankle flexibility and shoulder flexibility to increase range of motion for better propulsion in the water.
- Develop your kinesthetic awareness. Being able to control your movements to greater degrees of accuracy and awareness is an important self-coaching tool that everyone needs.
Winter Organized and Open Swim Opportunities
UB Pool Discount and Rates Information
USAT National Challenge Competition – Log Your Workouts!
The 2013-2014 National Competition Challenge (NCC) started on December 1st. December is swim month! This FREE 3 month USAT club challenge is where you log your own workout data into the USAT website and we (the BTC) compete as a team against other USAT registered triathlon clubs across the country. Clubs are ranked each month, based on total training mileage. We are also running our own contest within the BTC where members that reach certain monthly thresholds and are included in a raffle for prizes. Did we mention that it is FREE!? All you have to do is swim, bike, and run, and enter your workout data into a web form. And, every mile helps! Even if you only log 1 workout during the next 3 months that will still help to increase the total mileage for our club.
Our involvement in the NCC is being coordinated by Charlie Watson. In order to participate you must send an email to Charlie, using the address firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your name, your age, and your USAT number. You must have a valid USAT number to participate. Charlie will then register you, and you will receive an emai from USAT directly that will include your login credentials so that you can log your workout data.